Joseph Ratzinger - Benedict XVI - Bibliography
| Books on Benedict XVI
| Articles About Pope Benedict XVI
| Ratzinger Online (Pre-Pontificate)
The following is a compilation of online (English) content pertinent to Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger available online.
Presentations and Addresses
- Cardinal Ratzinger On Europe's Crisis of Culture - translation of the lecture given in Italian by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Benedict XIV, in the convent of Saint Scholastica in Subiaco, Italy, upon reception of the St. Benedict Award for the promotion of life and the family in Europe on April 1, 2005. Zenit News Service.
- Homily of the Dean of the College of Cardinals, Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, at the Mass for the Election of the Roman Pontiff. April 18, 2005.
- Funeral Mass of Pope John Paul II Cardinal Ratzinger's Homily at John Paul II's Funeral Mass. April 8, 2005.
- On the 40th Anniversary of Gaudium Et Spes. Homily at St Peter's Basilica. Friday, 18 March 2005.
- Funeral Mass of Fr. Luigi Giussani. Homily for the founder of the movement Communion & Liberation. February 25, 2005.
- Ratzinger: Reason Separated From God Is Obstacle to Peace Zenit.org. Nov. 7, 2004. Excerpts from an address delivered June 4 on the 60th anniversary of the Normandy invasion published by Vita e Pensiero, the journal of the Catholic University Sacro Cuore in Rome [Full text not yet available in English].
- Europe: Its Spiritual Foundation: Yesterday, Today and in the Future Inside the Vatican, June-July 2004. Address to the Italian Senate on May 13, 2004, at the invitation of Marcello Pera (Italian philosopher and head of the Italian Senate).
- Remarks at the beginning of the Concert of the Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk from Leipzig, for the 25th Anniversary of the Pontificate of John Paul II. October 17, 2003.
- Greeting at the beginning of the solemn Eucharistic Celebration for the 25th Anniversary of the Pontificate of John Paul II. October 16, 2003.
- Message to the Holy Father John Paul II for his 83rd Birthday. Given to Pope John Paul II on May 18, 2003.
- "Relationship between Magisterium and exegetes", reflections on the 100th Anniversary of the Pontifical Biblical Commision. May 10, 2003.
- Intervention of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, during the round-table discussion on the subject "The commitment and behavior of Catholics in political life" Rome - Pontifical University of Santa Croce. April 9, 2003.
- Current Doctrinal Relevance of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. "The Catechism of the Catholic Church: Ten years since its publication." Address of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger at the Catechetical Congress held in Rome. October 9, 2002.
- "The Feeling of Things, the Contemplation of Beauty", Message to the Communion and Liberation (CL) meeting at Rimini (24-30 August 2002).
- Eucharist, Communion & Solidarity. Lecture by H. Em. Card. Joseph Ratzinger at the Bishops Conference of the Region of Campania in Benevuto, Italy. June 2, 2002.
- Presentation regarding the Apostolic Letter [Novo Millennio ineunte] which in the form of a "Motu Proprio Misericordia Dei" reaffirmed the necessity of confessing each and every mortal sin. L'Osservatore Romano May 8, 2002.
- The Ecclesiology of Vatican II, Conference of Cardinal Ratzinger at the opening of the Pastoral Congress of the Diocese of Aversa (Italy). 15 September 2001.
- Theology of the Liturgy, delivered at a congress on the liturgy held at the Benedictine monastery at Fontgombault in France, 22-24 July 2001. Oriens, Journal of The Ecclesia Dei Society.
- New Evangelization: Building the Civilization of Love, Address to Catechists and Religion Teachers Jubilee of Catechists, 12 December 2000.
- The Ecclesiology of the Constitution on the Church, Vatican II, 'Lumen Gentium', presentation at a symposium on the reception of the Council held in Rome in November 2000.
- Words of Homage to John Paul II, At the Audience of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, January 28, 2000.
- Culture and Truth: Some Reflections on the Encyclical Letter, Fides et Ratio, given by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, on Saturday February 13, 1999 in the Chapel at St. Patrick's Seminary. The Patrician: Winter, 1999.
- Crises of Law, delivered by Cardinal Ratzinger on the occasion of being conferred the degree of Doctor Honor's Causa by the LUMSA Faculty of Jurisprudence in Rome, Nov.10, 1999.
- 10th anniversary of the Motu proprio Ecclesia Dei, Conference of Cardinal Ratzinger 24 October 1998.
- Theologie: Wissenschaft vs. Autorität?, On January 31st 1998 Cardinal Ratzinger received honorary doctorates from the University of Navarra. The doctorates were conferred by Bishop Javier Echevarria, Prelate of Opus Dei and Chancellor of the University. The following text is Cardinal Ratzinger's address.
- Question of Truth Lies at the Center of Theology, translation of Cardinal's opening address during the symposium on "The Primacy of the Successor of Peter", sponsored by the CDF. Monday, 2 December 1996. Taken from: L'Osservatore Romano, Weekly Edition in English. 1 January 1997.
- Relativism: The Central Problem for the Faith Today, address given during the meeting with the presidents of the Doctrinal Commissions of the Bishops' Conferences of Latin America, held in Guadalajara, Mexico, in May 1996.
- Christ, Faith, and the Challenge of Cultures. Given in Hong Kong to the presidents of the Asian bishops' conferences and the chairmen of their doctrinal commissions during March 2-5, 1993.
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church in Context, December 9, 1992. [provided by National Conference of Catholic Bishops/U.S. Catholic Conference : Office for the Catechism].
- Installation du Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger Académie des Sciences Morales et Politiques of the Institut de France. November 6, 1992. [in French].
- The Problem of Threats to Human Life, Vatican City, April 4-7, 1991. [Note: This consistory was a key preparatory moment for the preparation of the Encyclical Letter Evangelium Vitae]
- Update on the Universal Catechism of the Catholic Church, given at the Synod of 1990 [provided by National Conference of Catholic Bishops/U.S. Catholic Conference : Office for the Catechism].
- On The Nature of the Priesthood, Speech given by Cardinal Ratzinger on October 1, 1990 at the opening of the VIII Ordinary Assembly of the Synod of Bishops on priestly formation.
- The Theology of Cardinal Newman The Presentation was given in the centenary year of Newman's death (1990) during a Symposium organized by the International Centre of Newman Friends, run by members of the Spiritual Family, "The Work". L'Osservatore Romano Weekly Edition in English. 1 June 2005, page 9.
- Remarks to the Bishops of Chile Regarding the Lefebvre Schism, text of an address by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, given July 13, 1988, in Santiago, Chile before that nation's bishops. The Wanderer June 22, 2000.
- Biblical Interpretation in Crisis: On the Question of the Foundations and Approaches of Exegesis Today. Lecture delivered on 27th January 1988 at Saint Peter's Church in New York, NY.
- "Liberation Theology" A "private" document which preceded the Instruction of Fall 1984. Reproduced by Christendom-Awake.org.
- Cardinal Ratzinger and Post-Conciliar Biblical Criticism Remarks by Cardinal Ratzinger prefacing his 1983 lecture on liberation theology. Translated by A.M. Paltrinieri. Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly Newsletter Vol. 7, No. 3, June 1984. p. 13.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on "Handing on the Faith Today" . Excerpts from an address to a Paris symposium on January 16, 1983. The full text was originally published in La Documentation Catholique March 6, 1983. Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Newsletter Vol. 6, No. 3. June 1983.
- Biblical Aspects of the Question of Faith and Politics A homily that was delivered on 26 November 1981 in the course of a service for Catholic members of the Bundestag in the church of St. Wynfrith (Boniface) in Bonn. (LewRockwell.com).
Articles, Essays and Prefaces
- In Search of Freedom; Against Reason Fallen Ill and Religion Abused, on the 60th anniversary of the Allied landing in Normandy. It was initially published in the German daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and was translated from the German by Jeffrey Craig Miller. Logos Vol. 4, Issue 2 (Spring 2005).
- Versus Deum per Iesum Christum. Preface for Uwe Michael Lang's book Conversi ad Dominum. Zu Gechichte und Theologie der christlichen Gebetsrichtung, published last year in Switzerland by Johannes Verlag in Einsiedeln. The English version (Turning towards the Lord: Orientation in Liturgical Prayer) is available from Ignatius Press.
- Organic Development in the Liturgy [Book Review]. A review of the recent book by Alcuin Reid, OSB. [For more information about the book, click here].
- "The Resurrection of Jesus: An event that preceded their thinking and willing". Introduction to the new edition of Heinrich Schlier's book on the resurrection of Jesus Christ, to be published by the Italian monthly 30Days, in collaboration with the Morcelliana publishing house.
- Introduction to the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church March 20, 2005.
- Introduction to Christianity: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow Communio: International Review Vol. 31, no. 3 (2004): 481–495. [PDF].
- Relationship between Magisterium and exegetes. On the 100th anniversary of the Pontifical Biblical Commission. May 10, 2003.
- Thoughts on the Place of Marian Doctrine and Piety in Faith and Theology as a Whole Communio: International Review. Vol. 30, no. 1 (2003): 147-160. [PDF]
- Foreword to U.M. Lang's Turning Towards the Lord: Orientation in Liturgical Prayer. Rome, Laetare Sunday 2003.
- Letting God Work: An article by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger on the occasion of the canonization of Josemarìa Escrivà. Osservatore Romano (special supplement) 06 October 2002.
- The Splendour of the Peace of Francis, 30 Days. No. 1, January 2002.
- The Heritage of Abraham: The Gift of Christmas. Published in L'Osservatore Romano 29 December, 2000.
- Unity of the Church's Mission Involves Diversity of Ministries. L'Osservatore Romano April 29, 1998. The sixth in a series of Reflections on the Instruction regarding the collaboration of the lay faithful in the ministry of priests.
- The Ministry and Life of Priests Homiletic & Pastoral Review August-September 1997.
- Guardini on Christ in our Century, book review of Guardini's The Lord. Crisis Magazine, June 1996.
- Truth and Freedom, reprinted from Communio: International Catholic Review (Spring, 1996).
- Concerning the Reply of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on the Teaching Contained in the Apostolic Letter "Ordinatio Sacerdotalis". Letter from Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger dated October 28, 1995.
- The Theological Locus of Ecclesial Movements. Communio: International Review 25, no. 3 (1998): 480-504.
- The Holy Spirit as Communio: Concerning the Relationship of Pneumatology and Spirituality in Augustine. Communio: International Review, Vol. 25, no. 2 (1998): 324-339 RT. [PDF]
- Interreligious Dialogue and Jewish-Christian Relations Communio: International Review. Vol. 25, no. 1 (1998): 29-41. [PDF]
- Communio: A Program. Communio: International Review Vol. 19, no. 3 (1992), 436-49.
- "Funeral Homily for Msgr. Luigi Giussani" 31, no. 4 (2004): 685–687. [PDF]
- Introduction to Christianity: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow 31, no. 3 (2004): 481–495. [PDF].
- Thoughts on the Place of Marian Doctrine and Piety in Faith and Theology as a Whole 30, no. 1 (2003): 147-160. [PDF]
- The Theological Locus of Ecclesial Movements. 25, no. 3 (1998): 480-504. [PDF]
- Interreligious Dialogue and Jewish-Christian Relations 25, no. 1 (1998): 29-41. [PDF]
- The Holy Spirit as Communio: Concerning the Relationship of Pneumatology and Spirituality in Augustine. 25, no. 2 (1998): 324-339 RT. [PDF]
- "Truth and Freedom." 23, no. 1 (1996): 16-35.
- "The New Covenant: A Theology of Covenant in the New Testament." 22, no. 4 (1995): 635-51.
- "Christian Universalism: On Two Collections of Papers by Hans Urs von Balthasar." 22, no. 3 (1995): 545-57 RT.
- "God in Pope John Paul II's Crossing the Threshold of Hope." 22, no. 1 (1995): 107-12.
- "Christian Faith as 'the Way': An Introduction to Veritatis Splendor." 21, no. 2 (1994): 199-207.
- "The Meaning of Sunday." 21, no. 1 (1994): 5-26.
- "The Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Optimism of the Redeemed." 20, no. 3 (1993): 469-84.
- "Conscience in Time." 19, no. 4 (1992): 647-57 RT.
- Communio: A Program. 19, no. 3 (1992), 436-49. [PDF]
- "Biblical Foundations of Priesthood." 17, no. 4 (1990): 617-27 NC.
- "Concerning the Notion of Person in Theology." 17, no. 3 (1990): 439-54 RT.
- "Jesus Christ Today." 17, no. 1 (1990): 68-87.
- "Peace and Justice in Crisis: The Task of Religion." 16, no. 4 (1989): 540-51.
- "Man Between Reproduction and Creation." 16, no. 2 (1989): 197-211.
- "'You are Full of Grace': Elements of Biblical Devotion to Mary." 16, no. 1 (1989): 54-68.
- "Homily at the Funeral Liturgy for Hans Urs von Balthasar." 15, no. 4 (1988): 512-16 NC.
- "Cardinal Frings's Speeches During the Second Vatican Council: Apropos of A. Muggeridge's The Desolate City." 15, no. 1 (1988): 131-47 NC.
- "Freedom and Liberation: The Anthropological Vision of the Instruction Libertatis Conscientia." 14, no. 1 (1987): 55-72.
- "Liturgy and Sacred Music." 13, no. 4 (1986): 377-91 NC.
- "Church and Economy" 13, no. 3 (1986): 199-204.
- "Interpretation-Contemplation-Action." 13, no. 2 (1986): 139-55.
- "On Hope." 12, no. 1 (1985): 71-84.
- "Faith, Philosophy and Theology." 11, no. 4 (1984): 350-63.
- "Luther and the Unity of the Churches: An Interview with Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger" 11, no. 3 (1984): 210-26.
- "Problems in Catechesis Today: An Interview with Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger." 11, no. 2 (1984): 145-56.
- "Sources and Transmission of the Faith." 10, no. 1 (1983): 17-34.
- "Technological Security as a Problem of Social Ethics." 5, no. 3 (1982): 238-46.
- "The Church and Scientific Theology." 7, no. 4 (1980): 332-42.
- "What Unites and Divides Denominations? Ecumenical Reflections" (1972) [PDF]
The Ratzinger Kasper Debate
- Letter to the Bishops of the Catholic Church on some aspects of the Church understood as Communion - Communionis notio . May 28, 1992.
- "On the Office of Bishop", by Cardinal Kasper. 1999. [NOTE: In 1999, Kasper published a Festschrift honoring Bishop Josef Homeyer, a chapter on the theology and praxis of the bishop with special reference to the relation of the local bishop to the universal Church.
The article is unavailable online. For an analysis of its key points, see Walter Kasper on the theology and the praxis of the bishop's office, by Kilian McDonnell. Theological Studies Vol. 63, 2002. [PDF download]
The full citation for Kasper's article is "Zur Theologie und Praxis des bischöflichen Amtes," in Auf neue Art Kirche Sein: Wirklichkeiten-Herausfoderungen-Wandlungen, ed. Werner Schreer and Georg Steins (Munich: Bernward bei Don Bosco, 1999) 32-48, at 43.].
- Ecclesiology Of The Constitution On The Church, Vatican II, 'Lumen Gentium' - a presentation made by Cardinal Ratzinger at a symposium on the reception of the Second Vatican Council, held in Rome in November 2000. (Later published in L'Osservatore Romano Sept. 19, 2001).
- On the Church: A Friendly Reply to Cardinal Ratzinger, by Cardinal Kasper. America Vol. 184 No. 14. April 23, 2001. Translated by Ladislas Orsy, S.J. Originally published in the journal Stimmen der Zeit (December 2000).
- "The Local Church and the Universal Church: A Response to Walter Kasper", by Cardinal Ratzinger. America Vol. 185 No. 16. November 19, 2001.
Supplementary Articles and Commentary
- Cardinal Dulles Weighs In on Ratzinger-Kasper Debate, Vatican City, 28 May 2001 (ZENIT.ORG).
- Reflections on Cardinal Kasper's "On the Church", by Charles J. Chaput. America, July 30 2001.
- Authority reconsidered: Who's in charge here?, by Russell Shaw. Our Sunday Visitor, August 12, 2001.
- The Kasper-Ratzinger Debate and the State of the Church, by Dr. Philip Blosser. Reprinted with permission from New Oxford Review, April 2002, p. 18-25.
- What Happens at Baptism? The Ratzinger-Kasper debate, by Fr. Daniel Callam, CSB. Catholic Insight, May 2002.
- "A Tale of Two Cardinals" Geoffrey Kirk, Vicar of St Stephen's, Lewisham in the Anglican Diocese of Southwark. (New Directions July 2001).
- The local church and the universal church: Zizioulas and the Ratzinger - Kasper debate Published in: International journal for the Study of the Christian Church, Volume 4, Issue 1 March 2004 , pages 21 - 33. [subscription required].
Dialogues and Interviews
- Cardinal Ratzinger on Laicism and Sexual Ethics ZENIT International News Agency. November 19, 2004.
- Cardinal Ratzinger Tells Why Many Misperceive Christianity ZENIT International News Agency. May 7, 2004.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on Relativism, and Communion for the Remarried ZENIT International News Agency. February 23, 2004.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on Communion and Episcopal Collegiality ZENIT International News Agency. February 22, 2004.
- The Lord chooses our poverty, by Gianni Cardinale. 30 Giorni No. 9, September 2003. Ratzinger tells of his nomination as Archbishop of Munich and as cardinal by Paul VI in 1977 and the two conclaves of 1978.
- Raymond Arroyo with Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger transcript of the interview by EWTN News Director Raymond Arroyo of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, which first aired on EWTN on 5 September 2003.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on the Abridged Version of Catechism ZENIT International News Agency. May 2, 2003.
- The catechism in a post-Christian world. Interview with Gianni Cardinale. 30 Giorni April 2003.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on Why It's Not Time for Vatican III
ZENIT International News Agency. December 4, 2002.
- Cardinal Ratzinger Sees a Media Campaign Against Church ZENIT International News Agency. December 3, 2002.
- Cardinal Ratzinger Highlights Christian Challenge Following Sept. 11 ZENIT International News Agency. March 3, 2002.
- Cardinal Ratzinger with Bishops: a lively two-hour dialogue during a session of the Seminar as reported by Focolare Movement. 02 February 2002.
- Relativism: The New Face of Intolerance ZENIT News Agency. December 1, 2002.
- The Abolition of Man "An interview with the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Truth and subjectivism. Church and tolerance. West and Islam. Science and future. A viewpoint on basic issues of our times." Le Figaro Magazine/Volpe Dec. 2001. Interview given to Jean Sévillia.
- Cardinal Ratzinger Evaluates 20 Years in Rome ZENIT International News Service. November 23, 2001.
- Putting God First: Ratzinger Reflects on the Synod Interview with Father Bernardo Cervellera, the director of the Fides news service. October 31, 2001.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on the Future of Christianity "Above All, We Should Be Missionaries". ZENIT International News Agency. October 1, 2001.
- Cardinal Ratzinger, After the 9/11 Attacks excerpt of a translation of an interview Antonella Palermo of Vatican Radio had with Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger in 2001. ZENIT International News Service. April 27, 2005.
- Answers to Main Objections against Dominus Iesus In an interview published on 22 September 2000, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung invited Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, to respond to the principal objections raised against the Declaration Dominus Iesus. The daily edition of L'Osservatore Romano therefore published an Italian translation of the interview, omitting the parts that only concern the German situation. Here is a translation of the Italian version of the interview.
- A Question Answered Q&A with Ratzinger at the first International Congress of the San Dámaso Faculty of Theology. Feb 16-18, 2000.
- The Problem of Christian Prophecy Interview with Niels Christian Hvidt. 30 Giorni, No 1 - 1999.
- The Surprise of an Encounter Ratzinger at the Bishops' Seminar on Ecclesial Movements, June 16-18, 19999: two hours of questions. Notes from the replies of the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Communion and Liberation June 16th, 1999. Digitally provided courtesy of CatholicCulture.org.
- The Man Who Became Pope "The Sunday Business Post was the first Irish newspaper to interview Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI. The interview was published on December 17, 1995, but his opinions on Ireland, the sex abuse scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church and relativism are still topical today. Here, we reproduce the full interview by David Quinn, who met Ratzinger in Rome." April 4, 2005.
- "Luther and the Unity of the Churches: An Interview with Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger" Communio: International Catholic Review. Vol. 11, no. 3 (1984): 210-26.
- Interview with Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, given August 15-18, 1984 in Bressanone, Italy, with Vittorio Messori. [Basis for The Ratzinger Report]. Jesus, November 1984 issue, Milan, pp. 67-81. Excerpts republished in Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly Newsletter. Vol. 8, No. 2, March 1985. pp. 1-8.
Excerpts from Published Works
From The Spirit of the Liturgy.
- Biblical Aspects of the Theme of Faith and Politics | Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger | From Church, Ecumenism, & Politics: New Endeavors in Ecclesiology
- Why We Must Not Give Up The Fight | Joseph Ratzinger on why there are no "small murders" | From Christianity and the Crisis of Cultures (Ignatius Press, 2006)
- The Truth of the Resurrection | Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger | From Introduction to Christianity
- The Canon of Criticism. pp. 179-213 of Salt of the Earth (1997).
- The End of Religion? (Chapter 1 of Feast of Faith: Approaches to the Theology of the Liturgy
- Reconciling Gospel and Torah: The Catechism, [this essay was later included in Many Religions: One Covenant, under the title: 'Israel, The Church, and The World: Their Relation and Mission, according to the 1992 Catechism of the Catholic Church'].
- For "Many" or For "All"?, excerpt from God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life
- Why Do We Need Faith?, excerpt from What It Means to be a Christian Ignatius Press (June 20, 2006).
- The Question of Suffering, the Response of the Cross An excerpt from God and the World: A Conversation with Peter Seewald.
- The Lord Is Near Us in Our Conscience, in His Word, in His Personal Presence in the Eucharist. A Homily on Deuteronomy 4:7. Excerpt from God is Near Us: the Eucharist, the Heart of Life.
- "In the Presence of Angels I Will Sing Your Praise": The Regensburg Tradition and the Reform of the Liturgy. Reprinted from A New Song for the Lord: Christian Belief and Liturgy Today, published in Germany in 1995.
- On the Meaning of the Eucharist. Excerpt from "A God Who Is Near" ("Il Dio Vicino," St. Paul Editions).
- "Don't Forget Mary" The Marian devotion of our present Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, is beautifully manifest in his previously articulated "six reasons for not forgetting" Mary. Excerpt from The Ratzinger Report.
- The Rupture Between Sexuality and Marriage, excerpts from The Ratzinger Report.
- Why Church and State Must Be Separate excerpt from "Theology and the Church’s Political Stance" in Church, Ecumenism and Politics (NY, Crossroads, 1987).
- Conscience in Its Age. Lecture given to the Reinhold-Schneider-Gesellschaft, printed in Church, Ecumenism and Politics
Articles and Commentary on Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
- Joseph Ratzinger's Primer on Ecclesiology Interview With Ave Maria University's Father Matthew Lamb. ZENIT International News Service. June 23 / 24, 2005.
- Lutheran Hailed Cardinal Ratzinger as Expert on Luther A leading Lutheran in Germany said in 1998 that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Benedict XVI, was one of the few who really understood Martin Luther. ZENIT International News Service. May 5, 2005.
- Encounters with a Future Pope: A Seminarian Recalls Cardinal Ratzinger's Simplicity
by Brother Benjamin Cieply. ZENIT International News Service. May 1, 2005.
- David Schindler on Ratzinger's Ecclesiology. "The understanding of the Church as the sacrament of Christ's love has been an abiding feature of Joseph Ratzinger's life." ZENIT International News Service. May 1, 2005.
- The Cardinal who will play Kingmaker in Rome, by Stephen McGinty and Richard Grey. The Scotsman April 10, 2005.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican's doctrinal gatekeeper, by Daniel J. Wakin. New York Times April 8, 2005.
- Ratzinger's Mustard Seed by Spengler. Asia Times April 5, 2005.
- The Pope and His Two Consuls: Joseph Ratzinger and Camillo Ruini, by Sandro Magister. "L'espresso" Chiesa News. March 30, 2005.
- Could a Bavarian become Pope? Deutsche Welle February 10, 2005.
- Rome's Next Choice? by Jeff Israely. Time January 2, 2005.
- Ratzinger on Europe, by James V. Schall. Homiletic and Pastoral Review (January 2005).
- Ratzinger for Pope Commonweal December 17, 2004 / Volume CXXXI, Number 22.
- Strict Prelate Becomes Voice Of the Vatican: Traditionalist Ratzinger Seen as a Possible Pope, by Daniel Williams. Washington Post Foreign Service. November 5, 2004.
- Ratzinger - Feminist?, by Sidney Callahan. CommonwealSeptember 10, 2004 / Volume CXXXI, Number 15.
- The Blunt Hard-Liner at Pope John Paul's Side: Doctrine czar stands against progressives, by John Allen Jr. Los Angeles Times August 6, 2004.
- Ratzinger-Kerry, Act II. The Well-Tempered Controversy, by Sandro Magister. "L'espresso" Chiesa News. July 13, 2004. "The prefect of the Holy Office douses the flames. His ´No´ to communion for pro-abortion Catholic politicians is "very much in harmony," he writes, with the ´Yes´ of most of the U.S. bishops. But the rigorists are holding firm."
- Disputed Questions – Like Salvation Outside of the Church by Sandro Magister. "L'espresso" Chiesa News. July 7, 2003. "An analysis of one of the most controversial points of John Paul II's pontificate," including Ratzinger's criticism of Assisi 1986 and the rationale for the publication of Dominis Iesus."
- The Kerry Affair: What Ratzinger Wanted from the American Bishops, by Sandro Magister. "L'espresso" Chiesa News. July 3, 2004.
- Reading Genesis with Cardinal Ratzinger by Nicanor Pier Giorgio Austriaco. Homiletic & Pastoral Review December 2003.
- Ratzinger and Martini, shapers of the debate, about to leave center stage of this papacy, by John Allen Jr. "Word from Rome" National Catholic Reporter September 4, 2001.
- Dominus Iesus and Catholic Magisterial Teaching on Jews and Judaism, by Phillip A. Cunningham. Center for Christian-Jewish Learning at Boston College
- On Dominus Iesus and the Jews, by Rabbi David Berger. Rabbinical Council of America. Delivered at the 17th meeting of the International Catholic-Jewish Liaison Committee, New York, May 1, 2001.
- Cardinal Ratzinger on Liturgical Music, by Michael J. Miller. Summary of three articles by Cardinal Ratzinger on liturgical music which appeared in German journals during the years 1986-1994 and were reprinted in English as part of the anthology, A New Song for the Lord: Faith in Christ and Liturgy Today. Homiletic & Pastoral Review pp. 13-22. (July 2000).
- The Vatican's Enforcer, by John Allen Jr. National Catholic Reporter April 16, 1999.
- Church as "Mystery" or "People of God" Cardinal Ratzinger Against Much Post-Conciliar Theology on Church. ZENIT International News Agency. July 26, 1999.
- Joseph Ratzinger: Christ's Donkey, by Richard J. Neuhaus. "The Public Square" First Things January 1999.
- Cardinal Recollections, by John J. Hughes. An article about the early life of Cardinal Ratzinger. Our Sunday Visitor pp. 6-7. (November 8, 1998). Digitally provided courtesy of CatholicCulture.org.
- Cardinal Ratzinger Blames Church Crisis on Liturgical Collapse The Wanderer May 8, 2007. Digitally provided courtesy of CatholicCulture.org.
- On Understanding Contemporary Intellectual Movements: Ratzinger and the Modern Mind [Word Document], by James V. Schall, S. J. Homiletic and Pastoral Review, XCVIII (October, 1997), 6-14.